Monday, September 10, 2007

Morning Kisses


Every morning Chad and Emily (fellow Evangelical Church Missionaries) pick Molly up for school. Every mornining they arrive and honk to announce their arrival to Molly. Every day it is a bit of a race. As soon as the horn is blown the race begins. The race is simple, who will get to the truck first.
Pictured to the right is Molly's competition, the day guard-or as I will affectionately refer to as the kissing man. As is standard in Bolivia, people are greeted with a kiss. Every morning the kissing man approaches (he is very friendly and kind natured) to greet Molly as is Bolivian custom.
Molly has expressed an aversion to this form of greeting being a gringa (along with other factors). Thus every morning Emily and I have the pleasure of watching the race as it develops. The kissing man often has to traverse at least an entire block to arrive in time. Often times Emily cheers for Molly, but I must admit that it makes my day when the kissing man arrives first. I enjoy Molly's moments of awkward looks and attempts to avoid committing the faux pas of refusing Bolivian greeting. To Molly's credit, she has developed several strategic defenses for mornings when she just isn't on the ball enough to arrive on time. For example, she finds that if her arms are full she can gracefully avoid the Bolivian kiss. Well, I wish that you could all see an actual Bolivian greeting kiss by the kissing man, but unfortunately Molly refused to oblige us with a photo of the event this morning. Sorry, we'll see if we can't capture the priceless moment sometime for all you Molly fans.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Molly,
You really are an angel to put up with all that. I say that if Chad were a gentleman he would get out each morning and run interference for you, maybe even take the kiss in your place.

Anonymous said...

Molly,
I only wish that we could be there to share in such happy moments. It makes me homesick to see you.

Gordon

Mike and Aileen Kindsfater said...

I will pay money for a picture of landed smooch by Kissing Man. I'll start the bidding at 5 Bs!

Anonymous said...

I think the previous offer of only 5 B's is a tad on the unappreciative side. Such an event is certainly worth 8½ B's.....and my bid so stands.....although for a pic of Chad receiving the dreaded buss, a bid of 25 B's seems most appropriate.

Anonymous said...

I would pay at least 50 B's to see Chad receive the kiss. And 50 B's more to see the look on the guard's face. :-)

Anonymous said...

Molly!!

Wow, it's been a long time since i've seen you *in Moville*!! It appears that you are doing really well which is great! Anyway, just wanted to leave a comment and say hello!

-Sara Clark